by Cory Guinn
COLUMBUS, GA. – The Barton men's tennis team won the first match of the NCAA Division II Southeast Regional on Friday afternoon, taking down Queens University of Charlotte 5-4 at the John W. Walden CSU Tennis Complex.
In singles play, the Royal earned another point with a win in the No. 3 position before Barton senior Jake McCartney collected a 6-2, 6-2 win in the No. 2 spot. Queens won once more in the No. 4 singles slot but freshman Ermanno Galimberti (7-5, 6-4) and Gil (6-3, 6-4) each won their singles contests at No. 5 and No. 6, respectively.
With the match tied at 4-all, Bosch battled through three sets and a tiebreaker to take down the eighth-ranked player in the region Jules Athalis by a score of 7-5, 1-6 7-6 (7-4) to earn the team's fifth point and secure the match victory.
"I am so proud of my guys," said second-year head coach Matt Rowe after the victory. "They continue to have faith in each other. We are Bulldogs and we never quit."
Barton now takes on No. 1 seed and tournament hosts Columbus State University tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. The Cougars hold a 21-3 overall record and are ranked No. 3 in the latest ITA poll.
Barton College 5, #30 Queens University of Charlotte 4
1. Julian Bosch (BARTON) def. Jules Athalis (QUMTN) 7-5, 1-6, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Jake McCartney (BARTON) def. Paolo Bompieri (QUMTN) 6-2, 6-2
3. Agustin Aran Martin (QUMTN) def. Yaxi Pintado (BARTON) 6-0, 6-0
4. Andor Vas (QUMTN) def. Rory Gaydon (BARTON) 6-0, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Ermanno Galimberti (BARTON) def. Giovanni Setti (QUMTN) 7-5, 6-4
6. Jesus Gil (BARTON) def. Sebastian Meum (QUMTN) 6-3, 6-4
1. Julian Bosch/Jesus Gil (BARTON) def. Paolo Bompieri/Andor Vas (QUMTN) 8-6
2. Sebastian Meum/Agustin Aran Martin (QUMTN) def. Ermanno Galimberti/Yaxi Pintado (BARTON) 8-3
3. Joel Dunlap/Jules Athalis (QUMTN) def. Rory Gaydon/Jake McCartney (BARTON) 8-5
Barton College 15-8
Queens University of Charlotte 16-2; National ranking #30; Regional ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,2,4,5,6,1)
2017 NCAA Tournament First Round
#9 Barton vs. #8 Queens