Barton men’s soccer edges Coker in 2 OT on Mancio goal with 45 seconds remaining

Sophomore Pol Monells, left, battles a Coker College defender during Saturday night's match in Wilson, N.C. | Photo by Matt Proseus
Sophomore Pol Monells, left, battles a Coker College defender during Saturday night's match in Wilson, N.C. | Photo by Matt Proseus

by Benny Benton


WILSON, N.C. – Barton College sophomore Ruben Mancio scored with just 45 seconds left in the second overtime period to give the Bulldogs a thrilling 2-1 victory over visiting Coker College on Saturday at the Barton Outdoor Athletics Complex.

Senior Javier Alcarria intercepted a Coker pass at midfield and drove the left sideline before playing the ball forward to Mancio, who chipped the ball over the drawn-out Cobras keeper, Zach Watson.

The goal gave Barton (1-0) its first official decision of the season after Thursday night's match at Catawba was cancelled at halftime due to inclement weather. Coker dropped to 0-2 on the season with the loss.

Barton was six minutes from winning the match in regulation but surrendered a late goal to the Cobras. Following a long free kick from near midfield by Joao Silva, a BC and Coker player collided in the box. The ball bounced up in the air towards the Barton goal, where 6-5 senior forward Jacob Simonis put away a header to tie the match with 5:55 to play.

The Cobras nearly claimed the match in the waning moments of regulation, but a header by Matt Trimby hit off the crossbar with just under three minutes to go.

Coker had the only scoring opportunity of the first overtime period, another header by Trimby that was saved by Barton keeper Francisco Noguera.

Although Watson did record one save for Coker in the final overtime, neither team seriously threatened to score until the game-winner by Mancio.

Coker dominated the first 15 minutes of play in the contest, but Barton turned the tide midway through the period and took a 1-0 lead on senior captain Tolly Beatson's 11th career goal in the 28th minute. Following a corner kick, Beatson gained control and slid past a Coker defender on the left wing, drilling the ball into the far right corner of the net.

The Cobras had several opportunities to tie the match before actually doing so in the final minutes of regulation. Coker had two shots bounce off the post, and Noguera made three strong saves among his total of seven recorded on the night.

Watson was credited with six saves in the losing cause for Coker.

The Cobras held a 22-16 edge in total shots, with both sides putting eight attempts on frame. Coker enjoyed a 9-2 margin in corner kicks, but could not convert that advantage.

A total of 35 fouls were called and six yellow cards were handed out in a very physical affair between the former Conference Carolinas foes.

Barton will return to action on Wednesday when it faces University of District of Columbia in a neutral-site match. The contest will be played at 7 p.m. in Richmond, Va.,