Barton and Erskine men’s soccer teams battle to 2-2 double-overtime tie

Barton and Erskine men’s soccer teams battle to 2-2 double-overtime tie

by Benny Benton

WILSON, N.C. – The Barton College men's soccer team collected its first point in the Conference Carolinas standings this season after the Bulldogs battled visiting Erskine College to a 2-2 double-overtime tie at the Barton Outdoor Athletics Complex Saturday evening.

The tie left the Bulldogs with a mark of 2-8-1 overall and 0-5-1 in league play, while the Flying Fleet moved to 4-7-1 overall and 2-3-1 in the conference.

Erskine took a 1-0 lead just before halftime when Grant Dickey put away a rebound of a Louis Gueye shot with 2:25 left before intermission.

The Flying Fleet took that advantage into the break, but Barton responded quickly in the second period, striking just 3:32 into the half to tie the match at 1-all.

Barton freshman Pol Monells played a ball on the left endline to fellow freshman Cooper Dean, who quickly touched the ball to junior Tolly Beatson in the box. Beatson fired a shot past Erskine keeper Mikael Varin and inside the right post for the score, his second of the year.

Erskine moved back in front in the 59th minute when Niqell De Matas made a similar play for the Flying Fleet, making a quick touch from off the left side to the middle of the box, where Gaberiele Lanzani beat Barton keeper Jens Madsen Hordvik inside the right post for the go-ahead goal.

However, Barton answered quickly once more, tying the match again just over seven minutes later. From his own end, Dean fired a deep lob to the other end of the pitch, where sophomore Iuri Aleixo beat a defender and scored from inside the box to knot the match at 2-all. It was the first career goal for the Porto Seguro, Brazil, resident.

Both teams had opportunities to take the match in regulation. Ilkay Karak hit the post on an attempt for Erskine in the 71st minute, and Beatson had a nice look late in the match for Barton that was stopped by Varin.

The Flying Fleet had three shots in the two overtime periods, both in the second one, while the Bulldogs had one shot in each of the overtime frames.

Barton had 23 total shots in the contest, while Erskine produced 21. Varin recorded seven saves for the Fleet, while Hordvik registered eight for the Bulldogs, his sixth match this year with at least that many.

BC will hit the road for its next match, visiting Murfreesboro, N.C., on Wednesday for a 4 p.m. league matchup against Chowan University.